Monday 30 December 2013

Looking Back on 2013

I hope everyone had a good Christmas. It flew by way too fast in this household. Time was spent with family and friends, catching up, laughing, enjoying good food and as we were very fortunate with the weather, we enjoyed some good walks too.
At this time we inevitably think back over the last year and look forward to what the next one might have in store.
Once the family festivities were over I spent a cosy afternoon looking back over my blog to see what I had achieved this year.


I made 6 quilts. I'm counting the Swoon (bottom left) even though technically it's still a working progress. It will get it's backing very, very soon!


I made 2 tops for myself. I want to make a lot more of my own clothes next year.


My niece was delighted with the baby bibs and blanket. The bunting and stocking wreath have adorned the house over the last couple of weeks. The circle of flying geese table mat is in constant use, as is the mariner's compass cushion, and the little bird pin cushion sits in my sewing room, keeping an eye on all  the activity.


My challenge to myself to make 52 items for  Greenfields Africa  in 52 weeks was completed ahead of schedule in early December. Not all of them got photographed and I kept adding last minute items to the box, so I'm not sure of the exact statistics, but there were over 52 items and they included blankets, quilts, cardigans, hats and booties and also some shorts and dresses for the older children. 

Looking at the pictures all displayed neatly together, I'm proud of my achievement, but my memories are a little rose tinted. It was an enormous undertaking, and I would have enjoyed the process a lot more  if I hadn't set the bar so high. I shall of course make more items for this wonderful charity next year, but without any pressure. Next year it doesn't matter whether I manage to make 2 or 20 items, it is going to be enjoying it that counts.


And finally, I designed 7 new knitting patterns last year. To be honest, most of the work was done in 2012, but they were finished early in 2103, so that's what counts, right?
I was pleased to be able to include this collage because, in my head, it seemed ages since I'd finished a new knitting design other than the little Christmas stockings.
These three little girls have grown enormously over the last year, but I know the eldest one (top left) is still wearing her hat.

So that was it for 2013 !
I've been thinking for a while that my blog was veering more towards the quilting than the knitting, but I think it may just be that it's easier to show the progress of a quilt than a knitted item. In output the knitting won !

I shall be back in a few days with some thoughts on what I hope to make in 2014.
Have a Happy New Year, everyone !
Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I am in awe of your completed items. I am in the infancy of my first quilt. I have made 4 blocks so far and if you could give me some advice about which type of batting to use I would be so grateful.
    Love your knitted hats so much x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great collection of really well made items. I made 3 of those little vest tops for me and can recommend the pattern. I agree about setting the bar too high. I want to enjoy my hobby. It's great if it helps someone. But if the enjoyment went, then I would stop and that wouldn't help anyone! Happy 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a gorgeous collection of lovely makes, Julie - well done you! Wishing you all the very best for a happy, healthy and creative new year ahead,
    love Gilly xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous record! Happy 2014 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have many talents in the crafts department ;-) You made so many wonderful projects this year. I am specially smitten with the babies and their hats. They are adorable!!!
    Thank you for participating in the Stash-buster Challenge. I enjoyed each and everyone of your projects.
    And now I am looking forward to see what the new year will bring...
    Have a blessed 2014!!!
    ♥ Ana BC

    ReplyDelete
  6. The hats are so cute!! I love seeing what everyone did for 2013. Congratulations on yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you have done an amazing job - love all your knitted projects as well as your quilts. Here's to a great 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've done some fabulous work. It's been fab being part of strip bees with you.
    I'm with you on the clothes making in 2014

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have been busy Julie, your knitting patterns are lovely! Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You had a fantastic year, Julie. Hope to meet you in March and you can share some of these skills with me!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...