Tuesday 23 October 2012

Knitted Pumpkins for Halloween

The shops are full of Halloween paraphernalia. It's bright , it's cute, it's scary, but it's plastic and tacky!
So in order to rectify that just one eentsy, teentsy, tiny bit, I spent yesterday evening designing a little knitted pumpkin. This is so quick to knit (look, I made two already!) and has a multitude of uses. They can decorate a table, hang in doorways or be tied to trick or treat bags. I think they would look really great sewn or pinned to the back of a pair of gloves. I know I would be especially generous to anyone who knocked at my door Trick or Treating if they were wearing gloves with pumpkins attached! Or why not pin one on a witches hat or a headband. The possibilities are endless.
The pattern uses 10 grams (20 yards) of double knit yarn, and the finished pumpkin measures 3" (7.5cm) across the diameter. If you wanted to make it just that little bit bigger, just use aran/worsted weight yarn instead.
If you want to get the kids involved, let them cut out eyes and mouth from black felt and glue them on rather than embroidering the facial details. These are so simple to make that any new knitter - young, or not-so-young could make them.

I've created a pdf document of the pattern which you can download for free, here so go grab some bright orange yarn and have some spooky fun!



3 comments:

  1. These are really cute! I received some knitted pumpkins from my partner in a Cosy Autumn Swap and I love them. Much lovelier than plastic!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these, they're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww! They're the cutest!
    So happy you've been with us on the Blogtoberfest12 ride... can you believe we're almost done?
    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...