Tuesday, 26 February 2013

February Stash Buster Complete

It's nearly the end of February and I can't say I'm sorry. It's been a cold, mainly grey and dreary month and I'm fed up with winter. So my own little Spring starts today (forget the weather). I've had enough of sitting about. It's off to the gym for me this afternoon and there is going to be a new speed and purposefulness in my step from now on. So, to conclude February, here are the Stash Busters I've achieved this month.
The two hats were speedily knit up
 
from the oddments left over from a very big Stash Buster project than I have actually finished but I'm keeping back to count as part of the March achievements (that's not cheating, just prudent planning, right?) In case you are a new reader, all these projects are made from the otherwise unusable oddments that have accumulated over the years and I aim to make one item a week until the end of December. All 52 itmes will then be donated to Greenfields Africa where they are given to new Mum's as an incentive to attend ante natal classes or just to very needs recipients. By my calculation, this is week 9, so I'm slightly ahead of the game.
So, what else have I been doing, apart from getting frustrated that Spring is still only round the corner and I can't yet get out into my greenhouse and plant seeds whilst feeling the warmth of the sun on my back, dreaming of all the organic goodness we are going to eat in the summer?!!
Well, the dress pattern testing I did was an unmitigated disaster!! It started off so well, and I so loved all the processes of dressmaking, as I always do, from laying out the pattern, cutting it out and sewing and pressing (Yes, I love pressing seams in something I'm sewing. It's completely different to ironing the laundry.... OK, so you don't believe me, but it's true!). BUT, it just did not fit! Unfortunately I'm not allowed to show you photos until the pattern is launched, but I sent in my feedback and explained that the UK size 12 I had made, should, according to their measurements given, be the right size, whereas in actual fact it swamped me! The bust darts were in the wrong place for me and I took it in at the sides so many times that it had lost it's shape before I was happy with it. I've had to walk away from it and I hope to come back to it with fresh eyes in a few weeks time and make a size 10 bodice and hope and pray I can turn it into something I like enough to wear. If I can just get it to fit, it's a nice flattering shape and will be very useful during the long hot days of summer (I live in hope!!) And maybe second time round I'll be allowed to show some photos!
Also, I've been wrestling with my next new knitting pattern for the Etsy Shop.
Actually, I should clarify that...the designing and knitting was a breeze.... it is the typing up of the pattern I've been wrestling with! I have spent far, far to long taking stage by stage photos and annotating them in Picmonkey to make a step by step tutorial of the lace stitch I've used
It's a simple and effective pattern, but it's taken hours to show it pictorially, especially as I've included both knit flat and knit in the round instructions. But then as someone once said to me, it's the effort it takes that makes it worth doing in the first place. That has definitely needed to be my mantra this week.
Here's hoping March brings some warmth and colour into all our lives..... till next time, Julie
 
 
 
 
Pin It

13 comments:

  1. I like that idea of yours, I think I shall join you in proclaiming Spring ! If we start it off in the Midlands, possibly it'll spread rapidly to the rest of the island ;-)
    Well done on being ahead with your stash-buster challenge - those little hats are so sweet.
    Have a happy Tuesday,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the pattern Julie, what a pity about the dress all that work and it didn't fit, I hope you will be able to turn it into a wearable item and show us the pictures. Thank you for leaving me your totals and yes lets hope that March will be brighter and warmer :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have me excited for the new pattern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful projects for february! I just LOVE these hats. (I think I have a thing for stripes...) Good luck with the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those hats! I'm impressed by all the items you've made already! And thanks for being so painstaking with your patterns. That's partly why we love your patterns so much -- they are clear and easy to follow. Plus you create such cute designs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adore the hat pattern! Where did you get it? Cannot wait to see your knew pattern. Bravo on the stash busting

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've followed you over from Linda's Crafty Corner ... great stash busting projects you've completed! I've read back through some of your earlier posts and really admire what you have accomplished and the fact that you donate your beautiful knits to such worthwhile charities. Your hats and cardigans are so cute! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding me, Wendy, and for taking the time to leave a comment. You come from Ontario too!! My son and daughter-in-law live in Toronto and I visit often. I love Canada (except perhaps this time of year,when I really need to see some green shoots and spring like weather). Your pictures of the snow are amazing!

      Delete
  9. Ive just nominated you for a Liebster Award because I think your blog and you are great xx pop over to my blog and join the fun xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very admirable! I am intending to do a stash-busting thing...once I've...err...stopped spinning yarn! I love the hats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You spin yarn? How wonderful! I was shown the spinning process by a lady just the other day. I think it must take quite a lot of practise but you certainly appreciate your yarn more once you've seen it spun. Keep spinning!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...